Thursday, October 6, 2011

The "Flip Model"

The "Flip Model" is a teaching style that enables students to work at home on their math lessons, by watching lectures and using the interactive software at their own pace. This model was created by a Salmon A. Khan who founded Khan Academy, a non-profit online tutoring library. Khan's original goal was to help his relatives with their homework. The benefits of working on line is that the student can do it away from school, or even on sick days. With more time available for classroom instruction, teachers can use class time to involve students in more hands-on activities, like Susan Kramer's biology class in Gwinnett School of Math, Science, and Technology in Lawrenceville, Ga. (Photo Below)

Another benfit to having on line lessons is that teachers can monitor student's progress. Teachers can assess where a student needs more practice or where a student took the most time in learning. In this video, you can hear the teacher's perspective on the flip model, and how it has helped them to assess their student's learning.

As an English teacher, I am curious to see how developments in the flip method will take to teaching language arts. In the past, I have implemented discussion boards and blogging to the classroom, which makes it easier to read and assess students discussions. I would also enjoy having the extra time in class to perform plays, create projects, go on field trips and simply read to my students.When I first started teaching, I thought having the students read to the class was an important part of developing their presenting skills, but I have learned that students become very engaged when I read because I do it with intonation. When I put different voices into the characters and different feelings, the story becomes alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment