Monday, January 25, 2010

technology background

I don't have very much formal technology training, but I know enough where learning about different technologies may not be as great a feat as it would for, lets say, my mother. I have written a few blogs before so I am familiar with blogging, however I have never had an on line class before and I'm feeling a little nervous about how I will do. I am very accustomed to the traditional class setting so this will be a new experience for me.
My thoughts on technology in school is that it is great for assisting your teaching but it may not be a good idea to rely heavily on it, for a few reasons. One, technology sometimes goes wrong. A computer wont start or you cant get the projector working...all kinds of various bumps in the road can occure so I was always taught to have a back-up plan. Two, teachers sometime become so focused on the technology, like the use of a slide show, that the screen is doing more of the teaching which becomes boring, as I'm sure most of you have experienced sitting with the lights off... pinching your leg in an effort not to fall asleep.
Besides those two reasons technology, I think it is an essential part of a students learning. By using technology, such as having students type up a blog each week, they begin to develop interactive skills that can become useful for finding a job. Other aspects also include the fact that technology is a source for vast knowledge and inquiry. With the right direction and teaching, students can learn to find information for essays, reports, or presentations.
Another important aspect is that it essential to stay current with the times. I have read about teachers involving students with twitter to get them to write precise notes about history. Using these contemporary facets gives students the ability to incorporate what they know in school with aspects of contemporary culture. This integration of new technologies goes along with our reading, "The World is Integrated," which talks about the use of incorporating different subjects into a students interests in order to broaden their knowledge and learning. Technology is a great way to provide this kind of learning for schools and classrooms.

2 comments:

  1. Michelle,

    You make good points about technology use. Many teachers use technology to help them teach the same old way. Students are different so we may need to use technology to teach a new way. However, as I pointed out earlier tis week - we teach the way we were taught. How many of your classroom experiences were lecture and chalkboard - traditional ways of delivering content from one person who controlled the delivery? You have a good perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with some of your aprehension for joining an online classroom. I have taken classes online before so it is not a new experience for me. But I have been able to tell first hand how easy it can be to forget to check the classes for updates when you don't have an actual class to go to, especially if you're forgetful like me.

    Good luck with your first online class.

    ReplyDelete