Sunday, January 31, 2010

Why I Want to Teach

I knew I wanted to teach when I was very young. The teacher would be going around the room helping the students individually, while some other kids would be waiting impatiently. For some reason, I took it upon myself to go around and help some of the kids who had a question. I actually got away with it, until the teacher noticed I was slacking on my own work. I wasn't allowed to play teacher anymore, but I realized that I could do it when I was all grown up.
I didn't know however that I wanted to pursue English. I knew I liked school and that I enjoyed teaching, but i wasn't confident in my mastery of any subject to consider myself eligible to teach it. I always considered myself a average student, so why would I be able to teach if I was just average? When I started school in Montclair, however, I realized I wasn't just average. I found more personality traits that can help me be a teacher, like ability to work well with other, or good leadership skills, I even learned not to procrastinate which to me is a great feat.
I knew I loved English because it was the one subject that came the most naturally to me. I was able to learn math, science, and history, but I usually had to try a little harder. What i like about reading and writing is the connections you make to everyday living quorums and hardships as well as beauty and symbolic aspects of life. When I started reading Shakespeare and actually understanding it without needing the help of cliffnotes, I thought, "Maybe I have a shot at this English stuff."

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes the best teachers are those who did not excel in school. Who better to understand what it takes to learn something that is not easy to learn the first time around. Majority of your students will struggle with what you are trying to teach them. It is your ability to diagnose and adjust your instruction based on formative data that can bridge the gap between what students know and what you want them to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute story! I love how you played teacher in the classroom! The fact that you were an "average" student will definitely help you as a teacher. The reason I say this is because you know first hand what it's like to have to work hard for good grades. You'll be more sympathetic to those who struggle because you've been through it yourself! I think you'll be a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete