Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Schools Kill Creativity

I thought Ken Robinson gave an interesting and entertaining speech. Can we apply what he said to our curriculum? He told us what we should be changing, navigating away from "stigmatizing mistakes" while we should implicate the notion that, "creativity is as important as literacy." I would have to agree with him on that. I think as a society, we focus way too much on being correct. I remember when I was in Kindergarten, the teacher told us all to write the words "ON" and "OFF" on a piece of paper. That was the assignment. So I drew a light switch with the words "ON" and "OFF" because that is where I saw those words and recognized the meaning of the words. What do you think she did when I handed a drawing in? I had to write the words all over again because I did not do the assignment the way I was supposed to and I did not listen to directions. I think I will always remember that story when I become a teacher because what should have happened in this scenario is that I should have been praised for my creative outlook and for stepping outside of the box.
Can we apply creativity to our curriculum with the recent state of our economy? Well, I'm not quite sure how creativity would jeopardize our economy. After watching the video, it sounds like more of a ideology then a cost issue to re-inspire creativity as an important asset for schools. I can see how some schools with low funds have a hard time keeping subjects like music or art when they have to choose between those subjects or English. Ken Robinson thinks, "creativity is as important as literacy." With that said, it makes it hard to take a childs creative outlets away because of fund. Although they may not have an art class, English teachers can still incorporate art into the classroom. My example in Kindergarten shows that something as simple as drawing words to help kids connect to the curriculum on the creative level they need, to find an outlet that is comfortable, while assists their learning experience rather then entrenching it in strict assessment.

2 comments:

  1. You've said it very well. Creativity can be incorporated into a variety of subjects. Cost does not have to be the most important factor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are aware how powerful teachers can be with what they say and do with their students.

    ReplyDelete